Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"What If It Isn't True?"

This poem was based upon a question I received from an individual some time ago.  The question has been asked of many Christians over the years in many different ways.  Enjoy.

He looked me in my eyes and asked,
"What if it isn't true?"
I know his question was sincere,
so my answer must be, too.

What if this Book I hold so dear
did not come from above?
What if isn't what it claims
though esteemed with such love?

Then upon ling'ring final breath
I'd fade into the night.
There'd be no sense of something lost,
just darkness without sight.

I would have lived without regret,
though perfect I am not.
My life was one of happiness,
owning what can't be bought.

Surrounded by my friends so dear,
and family ne'er forsook.
Content and satisfied was I,
my hope upon that Book.

"What if it isn't true?" he asked.
"What is there you would change?"
The answer must be naught at all,
with nothing rearranged.

"Yet think of this," I asked him then,
"Let's turn the table round.
"What if each paragraph is true,
"reason for its renoun?"

"How would you face that day, my friend,
"if death forced you to see,
"that everything denied was true!
"What could your answer be?"


1 comment: